Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 7 Hansard (17 August) . . Page.. 2397..
(a) The review will be undertaken following the completion of the Radiation Oncology Services Plan.
(b) A decision on how the results will be published is yet to be made.
Telecommunications-3G phone towers
(Question No 1156)
DR FOSKEY asked the Minister for Planning, upon notice, on 7 June 2006:
(1) Does the ACT Government provide telecommunications companies with a map of acceptable areas in which 3G towers can be placed, or do the companies submit a draft plan for the network for the ACT Government to approve;
(2) Why does Canberra need a higher concentration of 3G towers as compared to other regions, noting that it is proposed Canberra will have 100 of the 350 Telstra 3G phone towers in Australia;
(3) Does this large number of towers reflect a higher need for 3G phone technology from the various levels of Federal Government agencies needing higher security;
(4) Is the Minister able to say whether any of the 60 existing Telstra facilities have already been upgraded to support 3G technology;
(5) Can the Minister advise of any plan Optus and Vodafone have to roll out their own supplementary shared 3G network; if so, how many additional towers will this involve;
(6) What advice has the Minister received about how many towers the ACT needs and how far apart these towers need to be to provide sufficient services;
(7) Given that the North Fadden tower proposal was withdrawn, does this mean that there is flexibility to withdraw more;
(8) How strictly does ACT Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA) follow its 'Guideline 1/05 for Telecommunications (Mobile Phone) Networks';
(9) What is the legal force of this Guideline;
(10) How often is the Guideline updated;
(11) Does ACTPLA provide companies with a map marked out to assist with tower placement planning which includes sensitive sites such as schools, childcare centres, hospitals, medical centres, aged care facilities and high density residential areas;
(12) Has there been or will there be any public consultation on the rollout of 3G phone towers as a whole, as compared to the current consultation process, which only notifies the public of one 3G tower proposal at a time;
(13) Can the ACT Government provide the results and mapping of the cumulative electromagnetic radiation (EMR) investigations for the rollout of 3G towers in Canberra;