Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 7 Hansard (16 August) . . Page.. 2202..
- The review is not to be constrained to financial considerations only.
- The review is to identify the flow-on value of local Government schools to other local businesses.
- No Government school is closed nor amalgamated on or after 1 January 2008 unless the change is supported by a specific vote of the Legislative Assembly.
By Ms Porter, from 4,392 residents:
TO THE HONORABLE SPEAKER AND MEMBERS OF THE A.C.T. LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY:
We the undersigned draws to the attention of the assembly to keep Hall Primary open.
The closing of this unique and historical school will have a severe effect on the students, the bus service and the Hall economy:
Your petitioners therefore request the A.C.T. Legislative Assembly not to close Hall Primary.
By Mr Smyth, from 1,578 residents:
To the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly for the Australian Capital Territory:
The petition of certain residents of the Australian Capital Territory draws to the attention of the Assembly that:
1. the ACT Government's discussion paper, Towards 2020, proposes the closure of Gilmore Primary School and Pre-School, and
2. closure of Gilmore Primary School and Pre-School cannot be justified on financial, educational, social or geographical grounds.
Your petitioners therefore request the Legislative Assembly to move that the ACT Government decide against closing Gilmore Primary School and Pre-School .
The Clerk having announced that the terms of the petitions would be recorded in Hansard and a copy of each petition referred to the appropriate minister, the petitions were received.
Petitions on school closures
Proposed reference to standing committee
MRS DUNNE (Ginninderra) (10.33): I move: