Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 6 Hansard (8 June) . . Page.. 2055..
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The ACT Older Drivers Handbook is updated annually with printing costs at approximately $5,400.
(2) The Handbook is targeted at all drivers 70 years and older.
(3) All drivers receive a copy of the Handbook when receiving the licence renewal notice on reaching 70. In addition drivers also receive a booklet "Retiring from Driving"with licence renewal notices at the age of 75.
(4) The handbook is posted to all drivers upon reaching the age of 70.
(5) The recommended distance between vehicles is generally referred to as the "3 second rule". The Handbook emphasises that this rule is the minimum distance when driving situations are at an optimal level, eg: the driver is alert and vehicle and weather conditions are good. The information in the Handbook recommends at least doubling the distance between vehicles when driving conditions are not optimal.
(6) The ACT requires medical assessment for all licence classes at the age of 75 and annually thereafter.
(7) The driver must undergo an annual Medical examination performed by a qualified Medical Practitioner, indicating a person's fitness to drive. Where the Doctor considers the driver does not meet the medical criteria for an unconditional licence, they may be referred to an Occupational Therapist for further assessment for a conditional licence.
(9) ACT policy is in line with the majority of other jurisdictions.
ACTION bus service-Civic ticket office
(Question No 1079)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for the Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 3 May 2006:
(1) Was the ACTION ticket office located in Civic closed for a period of time throughout April 2006;
(2) Was the ACTION ticket office closed due to staff shortages; if so, why do staff shortages exist and what has been done to rectify this problem;
(3) If the ACTION ticket office was not closed due to staff shortages, what was the reason for the closure;
(4) How long was the ACTION ticket office closed and when was it reopened;