Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 1 Hansard (16 February) . . Page.. 309..
(Question No 825)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice, on 14 December 2005:
(1) Regarding the 2005-06 September Quarter Capital Works Program Progress Report, why has $2 200 000 of funding been withdrawn from the Roads to Recovery Capital Works Boboyan Road and Sutton Road Programs;
(2) Why has $5 000 000 been withdrawn from the Pialligo Avenue upgrade and Majura Parkway Forward Design within the Roads ACT Capital Works Program;
(3) Has the $7 200 000 from projects as listed in parts (1) and (2) been transferred into the Traffic and Road Safety Capital Works Program specifically for the Gungahlin Drive Extension; if so, why has this funding been transferred;
(4) Have the projects listed in parts (1) and (2) been cancelled; if not, when will they be completed;
(5) Why was funding transferred out of these other necessary projects, rather than being appropriated through additional financing.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) With the agreement of the Department of Transport and Regional Service, the funds have been transferred to the Gungahlin Drive Extension project, which is a higher priority and which requires an increase in funds above that originally budgeted;
(2) The funds have also been transferred to the Gungahlin Drive Extension project;
(3) Yes, as per reasons given at answers 1 and 2;
(4) The projects have been deferred and will be re-considered in future budgets; and
(5) Additional financing was not available. As a result of this the existing priorities in various road construction programs were reviewed to ensure funds were available to progress Gungahlin Drive Extension.
(Question No 828)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 14 December 2005:
(1) Regarding letter to the editor "A new fire hazard", on page 12 of The Canberra Times, dated 12 December 2005, has grass been allowed to grow up to 100% thicker and longer than it was before the disastrous January 18, 2003 bushfires; if so, why;
(2) Why have adequate prevention activities in the Weston Creek area not been conducted prior to this 2005-06 bushfire season;