Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 12 Hansard (Wednesday, 19 October 2005) . . Page.. 3815 ..
Wednesday, 19 October 2005
MR SPEAKER (Mr Berry) took the chair at 10.30 am and asked members to stand in silence and pray or reflect on their responsibilities to the people of the Australian Capital Territory.
The following petition was lodged for presentation, by Mr Smyth, from 118 residents:
Glebe Park development
To the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of the Australian Capital Territory
This Petition of certain residents of Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory, draws to the attention of the Legislative Assembly that
A Development Application has been made (200404901) for the construction of a 4 block 8 storey high residential complex of 189 units, adjoining Glebe Park on the former Glebe Park Food Court site.
Your petitioners are concerned that:
• The amenity of Glebe Park and the Reid heritage precinct will be adversely affected if this proposal proceeds.
• Use of the land for residential purposes is inappropriate given the proximity of Glebe Park.
• Extension of Glebe Park to include all or part of this land deserves serious consideration.
• Acquisition of the land by the ACT government for addition to the National Convention Centre site, also deserves serious consideration.
Your petitioners therefore request the Legislative Assembly to
• ensure that the land is developed for the benefit of the community and of Glebe Park and not for private residential accommodation purposes AND therefore to
• oppose the Development Application AND to take all steps to ensure that the Development Application is not approved.
The Clerk having announced that the terms of the petition would be recorded in Hansard and a copy referred to the appropriate minister, the petition was received.
Guardianship and Management of Property Amendment Bill 2005
Mr Stefaniak, pursuant to notice, presented the bill.