Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 06 Hansard (Friday, 6 May 2005 2005) . . Page.. 2022 ..
Canberra Hospital—transportable cribs(Question No 350)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 5 April 2005:
• How many cribs are available for use in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) neonatal unit at the Canberra Hospital;
• How many transportable cribs are available for use and does the figure in part (1) include transportable cribs;
• Did the Chief Executive of ACT Health state on WIN News on 31 March 2005 that there were 8 cribs available in the NICU; if so, did this figure include the transportable crib/s;
• Did the Chief Executive of ACT Health state on WIN News on 31 March 2005 that “We will need to extend the unit in the near future and we’re working on plans to that effect”; if so, how advanced are the plans to extend the unit and have any funds been allocated towards an extension of the NICU;
• What sort of expansion exactly is planned for the NICU and what capacity will it have after the expansion;
• If funds have not been allocated for the expansion, when will funds be allocated.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
• The Centre for Newborn Care (CNC) has 24 beds comprising 8 Intensive Care cots (NICU) and 16 High Dependency and Special Care cots.
• There are three transportable cribs available and the figure in part (1) does not include these transportable cribs.
• No, The Chief Executive of ACT Health did not state on WIN News on 31 March 2005 that there were 8 cribs available in the NICU.
I confirm there are 8 cots in the NICU and this figure does not include the transportable cribs.
• Yes, the Chief Executive of ACT Health did state "We will need to extend the Unit in the near future and we are working on plans to that affect. But at this point of time the Unit can cope with demand."
The service planning for neonatal intensive care services is scheduled for completion by the end of June 2005. This plan will inform the service needs and the future capacity of the NICU. No funds have been allocated to extending the NICU at this stage.
• The features of expanded NICU services will not be known until the service planning is completed.
• Funding requirements will be considered in the context of future budgets.