Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2004 Week 10 Hansard (26 August) . . Page.. 4489..
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Staffing figures and population data were provided to Mr Cornwell in response to his requests in Question on Notice 878 for the years to 2003, with the Question subsequently tabled and placed on the public record. Population figures for the years following 2002-2003 may be obtained from the Australian Bureau of Statistics publication Population Projections, Australia, 3222.0, 2002 to 2101. ACT Policing publishes staffing data in its annual reports. Staffing as of 16 June 2004 was 816.55 (including enabling service personnel).
(2) ACT Policing's Annual Report provides data on the number of sworn and unsworn members for the years to 2001-2003. For 2003-2004 the number of sworn and unsworn staff is reported to be 594.48 and 222.06 personnel respectively (including enabling services personnel).
Finance-venture capital fund
(Question No 1748)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Economic Development, Business and Tourism, upon notice, on 5 August 2004:
(1) In relation to (a) the proposal to establish an A.C.T. based venture capital fund utilising a $10 million contribution from the A.C.T. Government, (b) the answer provided to Question on Notice to the Select Committee on Estimates inquiry into Appropriation Bill 2003-04 (No. 3) and (c) Note 'e' to Output 2.2, Programs and Services (Economic Development) in the June 2004 Quarterly Performance Report that reveals that a fund manager has been selected for this fund, what criteria were applied to select the preferred fund manager;
(2) How many proposals were received to manage the investment fund;
(3) Did all the proponents of proposals have a presence in Canberra;
(4) Will the fund manager establish a new venture capital fund;
(5) If a new fund is to be established, what other sources of capital will be identified for this fund and what quantums of funds will be invested in the new fund;
(6) If a new fund is not to be established, how will the $10 million contribution from the A.C.T. Government be managed;
(7) Is it envisaged that there may be conflicts of interest between at least one of the selected joint venturers and the evaluation of potential investment opportunities that 'come out of the ANU' which is referred to in The Economic White Paper, page 78;
(8) In relation to potential deal flow, what is meant by the phrase 'businesses [shall] have an A.C.T. focus' as stated in answer to parts (12 and (20) of the question on notice.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The Government has agreed to support the ANU in establishing a commercialisation fund with MTAA Superannuation Fund Pty Ltd (MTAA Super) on the basis that it increases