Legislative Assembly for the ACT: Week 9 Hansard (19 August) . . Page.. 3993..
ACTION buses-traffic rules
(Question No 1752)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Planning, upon notice, on 17 August 2004:
(1) Are ACTION bus drivers permitted to run red lights (a) for any reason or (b) if they are running behind schedule;
(2) Has the Minister or ACTION received complaints from motorists who have witnessed buses running red lights;
(3) Has an ACTION bus ever been caught running a (a) red light or (b) red light camera in the last three years;
(4) If an ACTION bus is caught speeding or running a red light by a red light camera, what action is taken by ACTION or are buses exempt from any fines that may be passed on as a result of an infringement.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(4) ACTION and its drivers are not exempt from any infringement fines. Road User Services forward the infringement notice to the registered owner, being ACTION. ACTION identifies and meets with the driver and then notifies Road User Services of the driver's name. The infringement notice is reissued in the driver's name. ACTION records the infringement on the driver's overall driving record file and counsels the driver as part of ACTION's discipline procedures.