Legislative Assembly for the ACT: Week 5 Hansard (25 May) . . Page.. 2237..
(2) Yes. However, refunds have not been granted as the provisions of the Rates and Land Tax Act 1926 do not allow a daily pro-rata of land tax charges within a quarter.
(3) The cost of permitting refunds for a daily pro-rata of land tax charges where the rental status of a property changes within a quarter would require significant additional resources to monitor, recalculate the tax and amend assessments and to process a refund of the tax for a large number of properties. It is estimated that recurrent staffing cost of approximately $0.2 million would be required as an additional 8 600 land tax assessments would have to be issued. It is also estimated that a reduction of $0.4 million in annual land tax revenue would result.
(4) Yes. A quarterly land tax charge for residential properties that are rented within a quarter is consistent with the provisions of the legislation.
(Question No 1455)
Mr Smyth asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 1 April 2004:
(1) What proportion of the $25m allocated in the 2003-04 Budget for bushfire initiatives has been expended; and
(2) Are there any bushfire initiatives that have not yet received any of the funds allocated; if so, which initiatives and when will that funding be expended.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Of the $25m in Government Payment for Output (GPO) allocated for bushfire initiatives in 2003-04, approximately $21m has been expended by agencies as at 31 March 2004.
(2) The majority of 2003-04 bushfire initiatives are well under way.
As at 31 March, no expenditure had been incurred on:
the purchase of bushfire volunteer protective equipment (JACS); and
the replacement of gutters and footpaths (DUS).
These agencies anticipate to expend the majority of funding allocated by the end of the 2003-04 financial year.
(Question No 1456)
Mr Smythasked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 1 April 2004:
(1) How many cases of Whooping Cough have been reported to date this (a) calendar and (b) financial year;
(2) Of these cases, how many were (a) adults and (b) children;
(3) Are there any concerns about any sort of Whooping Cough break out at this time.