Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2004 Week 3 Hansard (11 March) . . Page.. 1040..
Estimates 2003-2004-Select Committee
MR SMYTH(Leader of the Opposition) (10.43): I seek leave to move a motion to refer the Appropriation Bill 2003-2004 (No. 3) to a select committee on estimates.
MR SMYTH: I move:
(1) notwithstanding the provisions of Standing Order 174, the Appropriation Bill 2003-2004 (No 3) be referred to a Select Committee on Estimates 2003-2004 (No 3);
(2) a Select Committee on Estimates 2003-2004 (No 3) be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2003-2004 (No 3);
(3) the Committee be composed of:
(a) one Member to be nominated by the Government;
(b) one Member to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) one Member to be nominated by the ACT Greens or the Australian Democrats or the Independent Member;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 4.00 p.m. today;
(4) the Committee report by 4 May 2004;
(5) the Committee to send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker who is authorised to give directions for its printing, circulation and publication; and
(6) the foregoing provisions of this resolution so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
One hundred million dollars is a very large amount of money. It deserves appropriate scrutiny. The appropriate day for the committee to report would be the first sitting day in May. Obviously the government will want to get on with its expenditure program. I do not believe it is possible for such a committee to have completed its work by the last sitting day in March or the first sitting day in April for that matter. Therefore that would be the soonest practical date. Of course, under part 4, the committee could publish out of session if it finishes early. I commend the motion to the Assembly.
MR QUINLAN (Treasurer, Minister for Economic Development, Business and Tourism and Minister for Sport, Racing and Gaming) (10.44): I seek to amend the motion so the reporting date would be 30 March. I move: