Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2004 Week 1 Hansard (12 February) . . Page.. 416..
(Question No 1204)
Mr Cornwell asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice:
In relation to electricity rebates for pensioners:
(1) How many pensioners in the ACT over 65 years of age were entitled to electricity rebates in (a) 2000/01 (b) 2001/02 (c) 2002/03;
(2) How many pensioners in the ACT over 65 years of age claimed rebates for electricity in (a) 2000/01 (b) 2001/02 (c) 2002/03;
(3) What was the total value of those rebates in each of the years at (2) above.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Every pensioner in the ACT over 65 years of age is entitled to electricity rebates. The information on total numbers of pensioners at any time is held by Centrelink and is available for a fee of $59 per table.
(2) This information is not currently collected. The information provided by ActewAGL details the total number of recipients of electricity rebates by Pensioner Care Card, Health Care Card and Life Support and the total rebates provided for each category. There is no further breakdown by age, etc. However, the total number of recipients of electricity rebates in those years was: 23,751 in 2000/01, 23,960 in 2001/02 and 24,235 in 2002/03.
(3) This information is not currently collected. However, the total value of all electricity rebates provided in those years was: $3,187,279 in 2000/01, $3,550,853 in 2001/02 and $3,681,510 in 2002/03.
(Question No 1205)
Mr Cornwell asked the Chief Minister, upon notice, on 11 December 2003:
In relation to the ACT population:
1. What is the current population of residents in the ACT who are over 65 years of age;
2. What proportion of the ACT's overall population do they represent;
3. What is the number of persons included in the figure at (1) who are aged pensioners.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
1 These statistics are available in Australian Demographic Statistics, cat 3101.0, from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, a Federal Government agency.