Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 9 Hansard (28 August) . . Page.. 3433..
(Question No 851)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Urban Services upon notice:
In relation to the Erindale Library refurbishment:
(1) In a press statement issued by you on Tuesday 19 August you highlight the $690,000 spent on the Erindale Library upgrade. In corresponding this with the 2002-03 Budget Papers I have found only $385,000 was allocated towards this project. Is the figure of $690,000 in your press statement correct;
(2) If so, where did the additional $305,000 come from for this project, if not, will you issue a correction;
(3) What are the financial breakdowns for the cost of works associated with this refurbishment;
(4) Why was the project not completed by June 2003 as indicated in the 2002-03 Budget Papers;
(5) What other library refurbishments are currently underway, please detail the site and estimated costs.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(2) The additional funding of $305,000 was from the Libraries Improvement Program - $90,000 and existing DUS resources - $215,000.
(3) The breakdown of costs is as follows:
$385,000 Building refurbishment including demolition and refurbishment, lighting, electrical, mechanical, new front entrance with air-lock, north entry extension, contractors fees.
$90,000 OH&S including disabled access, children's and staff work areas
$215,000 floor coverings, furniture, shelving, book storage and restocking, refit of staff office facilities.
(4) The project was completed by end June 2003 with the exception of one item involving some plumbing at the front of the building. This work was delayed for the convenience of customers entering the library while the new front entrance was being completed.
(5) The 2003-4 Budget has allocated $540,000 for the refurbishment of Woden Library, excluding the Canberra Connect shopfront area.