Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 8 Hansard (21 August) . . Page.. 3128..
communicate to any person, any information concerning the affairs of another person acquired by him or her by reason of his or her office or employment. The ACT Legal Aid Office considers that the disclosure of information relating to Mr Eastman's representation could be construed as amounting to a breach of the secrecy provisions of the Act.
No additional funds have been provided by the Department of Justice and Community Safety for Mr Eastman's representation.
(8) See my answer to (7) above.
Public relations consultants
(Question No 856)
Mr Smyth asked the Attorney General, upon notice, on Thursday, 21 August 2003:
In relation to public relations and media related services:
(1) How much money was paid to external (contracted) communications consultants for Public Relations and Media advice and services in each of the financial years 2001-01, 2001-02, and 2002-03;
(2) Answer to Question on Notice No 796 states that the acting Communications Manager was appointed to a temporary position even though they are a non-permanent officer as there was 'no suitable available permanent employee to undertake this specialised work'. How could the Department have come to this conclusion if the position was not advertised;
(3) Similarly, if the position was not advertised, how was the Department made aware of the Acting Manager's availability;
(4) Did the Acting Manager apply for the position, if so did they do it in writing or verbally;
(5) Was the appointment of the Acting Manager made at the request of the Minister for Police and Emergency Services or his office;
(6) Was the appointment of the Acting Manager made at the request of any other member of the ACT Executive or their offices;
(7) How can answer to Question on Notice No 796 claim that there was 'no suitable available permanent employee to undertake this specialised work' when there are at least 24 Public Affairs Officers within the ACT Public Service.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) In the 2000-01 financial year, the amount paid to external (contracted) communications consultants for Public Relations and Media advice and services was $187,495 (provision of communication and advertising services to the ACT Electoral Commission in connection with the 2001 election). In the 2001-02 financial year there was no expenditure and in 2002-03 the amount paid was $4,300.