Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 8 Hansard (21 August) . . Page.. 3113..
Land sales-legal actions
(Question No 809)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Planning, upon notice:
In relation to government land auctions, specifically that of Harrison 1 Estate on 11 June 2003:
(1) When did the Gungahlin Development Authority (GDA) first become aware that the cheque offered for deposit by the successful bidder was to be dishonoured;
(2) What discussions and/or negotiations took place with the bidder between the fall of the hammer and the cheque being dishonoured;
(3) Who took part in these discussions and/or negotiations;
(4) Was any approach made by the GDA to any associates of the bidder in this regard;
(5) If so, who and by whom;
(6) Did the GDA have any contact with the Commonwealth Bank in regard to this matter between the auction and the cheque being dishonoured;
(7) When was legal advice sought by the GDA;
(8) What questions were asked in regard to that advice;
(9) When was the advice received.
Mr Corbell: The answer to Mrs Dunne's questions is as follows:
(1) 16 June 2003.
(2) A meeting occurred on the morning of 16 June 2003 where it was indicated that there may be issues with the cheque.
(3) A Director of the company and the Chief Executive Officer of the Gungahlin Development Authority
(7) 16 June 2003.
(8) Could the GDA extend the time for payment of the deposit.
(9) Verbal advice was received on 16 June 2003. Written advice was received on 18 June and 24 June 2003.