Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 6 Hansard (19 June) . . Page.. 2231..
(1) Who is responsible for organising and coordinating entry into the Oval on AFL match days at Manuka;
(2) Has the Minister received any formal complaints about the organising of the match, in terms of handling the crowd on May 25, if so, what were the complaints regarding;
(3) Is the Government looking at improving parking in the area for AFL matches, if not, why not;
(4) Have any suggestions been forwarded to the Minister on how to improve AFL matches at Manuka from the spectators perspective, if so, please provide details;
(5) Would the Government consider any such improvements in the (4) above.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's questions are as follows:
(1) The hirer (be it the AFL or the Kangaroos) is the responsible party for coordinating ground entry (ticketing and security).
(2) Yes. Only one formal (written) complaint has been received by my office, although I am most aware of several problems that did occur at the match to which you refer. This complaint regarded problems experienced with ticketing, toilets and food sales.
(3) Although not the source of any direct complaints, Government is aware that there are issues associated with parking in the area, particularly during those matches that attract capacity crowds. A formal planning study for the Oval precinct has yet to be undertaken which presumedly would incorporate parking.
The Manuka Oval Management Company (MOMC) has had preliminary negotiations with ACTION regarding the increased use of buses on match days, either directly from licensed clubs or interchanges, and the coordination of buses within the Oval precinct.
(4) Only suggestion related to the issues raised in (2).
(5) Yes. The MOMC will be making minor improvements shortly to the ticketing arrangements and undertaking landscaping enhancements that will positively impact on available space for catering and toilet facilities for next season.
(Question No 741)
Mr Smythasked the Minister for Sport, Racing and Gaming, upon notice, on 18 June 2003:
In relation to the Stadiums Authority: