Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 2 Hansard (6 March) . . Page.. 705..
Child care industry
(Question No 401)
Mrs Burke: Asked the Minister for Education, Youth and Family Services, upon notice, on 4 March 2003:
In relation to Inquiry into Workforce Issues in the ACT Child Care Industry:
(1) How much did this case study cost.
(2) Where did the funds for this case study come from (ie: within existing Department budget).
(3) What percentage of the material in this report is (a) new information; (b) information the Department already had and, (c) the terms of reference re-written or paraphrased.
(4) What steps will the Government now take to deal with the concerns raised in the report.
(5) When will the Government act on any recommendations provided in the report.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to Mrs Burke's question is:
(1) Total funding of $26,116 was provided to Community and Health Works to deliver the project.
(2) Funds were allocated from within the existing budget of the Department of Education, Youth and Family Services.
(3) Approximately 94% of the data contained in the report is new information. This data was collected through a comprehensive survey of children's services providers and staff . The information was then collated and analysed, providing the basis of the report.
The data held by the Department of Education, Youth and Family Services represents approximately 4% of the data contained in the report.
The remaining 2% of data is drawn from information on employment trends, projected employment growth and research on the early years.
The report addresses the terms of reference and provides quantitative data in response to the terms of reference. The terms of reference have not been re-written or paraphrased.
(4) Children's Services, Department of Education, Youth and Family Services, will consult with licensed children's services and other relevant stakeholders in relation to the recommendations of the report.