Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1999 Week 1 Hansard (2 February) . . Page.. 1..
MR SPEAKER (Mr Cornwell) took the chair at 10.32 am and asked members to stand in silence and pray or reflect on their responsibilities to the people of the Australian Capital Territory.
Suspension of Standing and Temporary Orders
MR HUMPHRIES (Attorney-General, Minister for Justice and Community Safety and Minister Assisting the Treasurer) (10.33): Mr Speaker, I move:
That so much of the standing and temporary orders be suspended as would prevent the following business having precedence over all other business in the routine of business for the remainder of this sitting:
(1) Assembly business, order of the day No. 1, relating to the presentation of the report of the Select Committee on the Territory's Superannuation Commitments;
(2) Executive business, notice No. 1, relating to the disposal of ACTEW Corporation Limited;
(3) Executive business, order of the day No. 1, relating to the ACTEW (Transfer Scheme) Bill 1998;
(4) Presentation of papers;
(5) Presentation of Milk Authority (Amendment) Bill 1999, by leave;
(6) Presentation of Scrutiny Report No. 15 of 1998 of the Standing Committee on Justice and Community Safety;
(7) Select Committee on Gambling, motion, by leave, to amend the resolution appointing the committee.
Mr Speaker, this motion provides for a certain number of items to be dealt with today. It does not provide for question time. This is in keeping with the precedent set on earlier occasions when a day has been set aside for specific debate on specific issues. The issue today is ACTEW.
Question resolved in the affirmative, with the concurrence of an absolute majority.