Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1995 Week 11 Hansard (14 December) . . Page.. 3116..
MINISTER FOR INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
QUESTION NO. 93
Business, Employment and Tourism
and Industrial Relations Portfolios - Consultancies
(1) What are the current consultancies let or proposed to be let within each Department/Agency in your portfolio.
(2) What is the cost of each consultancy.
(3) Why could the work of each consultancy not have been performed by public servants within the Department/Agency or elsewhere in the ACT Government Service.
(4) Is any consultant exercising any delegation in relation to public servants.
Mr De Domenico - the answer to the Member's question is as follows:
The current consultancies let or proposed to be let within the Business, Employment and Tourism; and Industrial Relations portfolios comprise of:
. Review of the Agents Act 1968
(1) A consultancy to Mr Warwick Ryan of Career People as part of an overall review of the Agents Act 1968. The agreement requires the consultant to assess responses to a Discussion Paper issued in respect of the Review of the Agents Act, undertake consultations with key industry organisations and provide appropriate recommendations to the Government. That report is expected shortly.
(2) Estimated cost is $ l8,000 plus a disbursement fee of no more than $ l00.
(3) The review involves consideration of complex consumer, licensing, administration and financial issues impacting on a number of industries, including those associated with real estate, travel and conveyancing agents and auctioneers. The review was initiated by the previous government as part of a regulatory reform program acknowledging national reforms such as mutual recognition of registered occupations. The mix of skills and experience required to successfully undertake the review was not considered to be available within the ACT Government Service.
(4) No delegation is being exercised by the consultant in relation to public servants.