Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1995 Week 11 Hansard (14 December) . . Page.. 3105..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
Question No. 91
Carnell Government - Salaries Expenditure
In relation to the Treasurer's Monthly Financial Statement for the month of September and year to date period ending 30 September 1995 -
(1) What were the salaries that were incorrectly charged to the Executive, according to Footnote (e).
(2) Who were the people paid and how much was each paid.
(3) To which program are the salaries now to be charged.
MRS CARNELL - The answer to the Member's question is as follows:
(1) The salaries, noted in Footnote (e) as incorrectly charged in the September report, related directly to the salaries' bill for the Executive. Due to a duplication of journals charging the Executive's salaries for pays one to seven, the total salaries' bill for the Executive was charged twice. The duplicate journals were identified and reversed in early October.
(2) The incorrect charging was not due to the costing of any particular person or persons, but as a result of duplicated salary costing journals. As stated above, this resulted in the Executive being charged twice for pays one to seven. The amount of the error was $247,200.
(3) The duplication error understated the salary figure for the Chief Minister's Department. As stated before, this error was identified and corrected in early October.