Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1995 Week 01 Hansard (Tuesday, 2 May 1995) . . Page.. 97 ..
TOURISM AND A.C.T. PROMOTION - STANDING COMMITTEE
MR HUMPHRIES (Attorney-General) (8.48): Pursuant to standing order 223, I move:
That Mr Hird be discharged from the Standing Committee on Tourism and ACT Promotion and that Mr Kaine be appointed in his place.
Mr Speaker, this arose out of some confusion about what committee chairmanships would be sought by members of different parties. Mr Kaine at one stage expected, on the basis of an agreement made between the parties, to be appointed to the Standing Committee on Public Accounts and to chair that committee. Subsequently, I understand, Ms Follett expressed an interest in chairing that committee. As a result the Liberal Party would choose to place Mr Kaine on the Tourism and ACT Promotion Committee in Mr Hird's place.
Question resolved in the affirmative.
PUBLIC ACCOUNTS - STANDING COMMITTEE
Government Schools Voluntary Parent Contribution Scheme Inquiry
MS FOLLETT (Leader of the Opposition): Mr Speaker, I ask for leave to make a statement regarding a new inquiry by the Standing Committee on Public Accounts.
MS FOLLETT: I wish to inform the Assembly, Mr Speaker, that on 3 April the Standing Committee on Public Accounts resolved to inquire into and report on the voluntary parent contribution scheme in the ACT government schools system, with particular reference to:
(1) the necessity for voluntary fees, including the extent to which such fees fund school-wide resources used by all students, and materials for hands-on tuition in elective subjects for individual students;
(2) mechanisms for setting, and procedures for the collection of, fees;
(3) banking and accounting arrangements for fees;
(4) public accountability for receipt and expenditure of fees;
(5) equity and outcomes between schools;
(6) reasons for any variations in fee levels between schools;