Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1993 Week 08 Hansard (Tuesday, 17 August 1993) . . Page.. 2383 ..
MINISTER FOR HOUSING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION NO 769
Housing Trust Properties - Fire Damage
MR CORNWELL: Asked the Minister for Housing and Community Services -
(1) How many ACT Housing Trust properties by type, eg house, flat etc., were damaged or destroyed; by fire in (a)1992 and (b) to ljune 1993.
(2) What were the causes of each of these fires.
(3) What was the monetary cost of this damage or destruction.
(4) What is the average cost of a smoke detector.
MR CONNOLLY: The answer to the Members question is as follows -
(1) Accurate information is not available, however approximately twenty dwellings have been damaged by fire in the last two financial years.
(2) Not available.
(3) Information is not readily available. Expenditure from storms, fires and replacement of broken windows was $0.2m in 1992/93.
(4) $150 is the estimated cost to fit a mains wired, interconnected unit with a battery back-up, the total cost being about $4m to install alarms in all dwellings with an annual servicing cost estimated at $0.4m.