Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1993 Week 08 Hansard (Tuesday, 17 August 1993) . . Page.. 2360 ..
MINISTER FOR URBAN SERVICES
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION NO. 752
School of Muslc - Carparks
Mr Cornwell - asked the Minister for Urban Services:
(1) Who is responsible for the unsealed carparks around the School of Music.
(2) If it is the ACT Government is there any intention to seal these carparks and, if so, when.
(3) What would be the approximate cost of such sealing.
Mr Connolly - the answer to the Members question is as follows:
(1) There are two unsealed carparks located close to the School of Music.
The unsealed carpark directly outside the School of Art is currently owned by the ACT Government. However, it is part of a parcel of land to be given to the Australian National University (ANU) by the ACT Government in return for land at the other end of Childers Street (in the ROCKS area). At present, responsibility for the carpark is with the ANU, under a licence agreement between the ACT-Government and the ANU.
The carpark opposite the School of Music on Marcus Clarke Street (Carpark 14) is only partially unsealed. This carpark is partly National land (ie Block 11 Section 61) with the remainder being owned by the ACT Government. The ACT Government owns all of the unsealed portion and has responsibility for the entire area.
(2) (3) The ACT Government does not intend to seal the remaining area of Carpark 14, as no provision has been made in any future capital works program for such an upgrade, and the location of the site would make it attractive for redevelopment in the future.