Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1993 Week 08 Hansard (Tuesday, 17 August 1993) . . Page.. 2342 ..
MINISTER FOR HEALTH
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION NO. 730
Hospice - Acton Peninsula
Mrs Carnell - asked the Minister for Health:
(1) What are the projected costs of design and construction of the proposed hospice
on Acton Peninsula.
(2) What are the projected annual awning costs of the facility.
(3) Has any cost analysis been undertaken on a hospice facility to be located at
Calvary Hospital; if not, why not
(4) If so, what were the projected costs of design and construction of a facility at
Calvary Hospital and what were the projected annual running costs of the facility.
Mr Berry - the answer to Mrs Carnells question is:
(1) The Building Works for the hospice on Acton Peninsula amount to $2.4 million.
(2) The projected annual running costs of the facility is $2 million dollars
(3) Prior to the decision to site the hospice at Acton, cost estimates were prepared
for the Calvary Building C option by Richard Glenn and Associates. An
inspection of Building C confirmed that the brief for the hospice facility could not
be accommodated within the existing floor space for Residence C.
Two farther options were costed: a) the construction of a new stand alone 15 bed hospice facility on a greenfields sine at Calvary Hospital and;
b) the construction of a new building housing the 15 bed hospice facility adjoining Residence C, together with the renovation of Residence C to accommodate the required ancillary facilities.