Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1993 Week 06 Hansard (Thursday, 20 May 1993) . . Page.. 1720 ..
CHIEF MINISTER FOR THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION NO. 699
X-Rated Video Franchise Revenue
MR STEVENSON - Asked the Treasurer upon notice on 11 May 1993:
(1) What were the costs incurred by the ACT Government in the
High Court action which resulted in the Business
Franchise ("X" Videos) (Amendment) Bill 1993?
(2) What is the total amount of tax revenue collected on such
videos and over what period or periods?
(3) What is the situation with regard to the possibility of
this revenue having to be repaid as foreshadowed by the
press pursuant to the Courts ruling?
(4) If repayment was necessary, what total amount is
MS FOLLETT - The answer to the Members question is as follows:
(1) Total costs at this stage are not yet known. Accounts
have been received for $69,799.17.
(2) Revenue for 1990-1991 was $375,000
Revenue for 1991-1992 was $120,000
Revenue for 1992-1993 to 31 April 1993 is $314,000
Total revenue received since the introduction of the Business Franchise ("X" Videos) Act 1990 is $809,000.
(3) Until the outcome of the action before the High Court is
known, a question of repayment of revenue does not arise.
(4) See question 3.