Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 4 Hansard (12 April) . .
c) 18 new playgrounds were wholly private funded then gifted to the government. These were primarily constructed in new estate developments (e.g. Casey, West Macgregor).
(Question No 951)
Ms Lawder asked the Minister for Community Services and Social Inclusion, upon notice, on 23 February 2018:
(1) How many men's sheds are there in the ACT.
(2) How many men's sheds receive financial support from the ACT Government.
(3) Can the Minister provide a list of the men's sheds and what support they receive from the Government.
(4) What is the value of the support given to men's sheds.
(5) What advice did Purdon Planning Pty Ltd provide in June 2014 in relation to men's sheds and can the Minister provide a copy of the advice.
(6) What advice was the Government seeking from Purdon Planning Pty Ltd when they provided this advice.
(7) What was the brief/scope provided to Purdon Planning Pty Ltd.
(8) Are there any requirements that men's sheds are required to comply with within the ACT, for example, (a) building, (b) social inclusion and (c) other requirements.
Ms Stephen-Smith: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
1. The term 'men's shed' is generally understood as those sheds who are members of the Australian Men's Shed Association (AMSA). The AMSA website (https://mensshed.org/) lists nine sheds located in the ACT, as well as the ACT Model Railway Society Inc. There are also a number of sheds in the surrounding region.
2. In recent years, the ACT Government has provided a number of one off grants to support Men's Shed in the ACT. For example, $100,000 from the Community Support and Infrastructure Grants Program was provided to fund a one off ACT Men's Shed Support Grants Program. Under this Program, a total of $90,557.20 was provided to nine successful men's sheds in the ACT.
Additionally in 2014-15, Belconnen Community Men's Shed received $2,272.50 under a separate stream of the Community Support and Infrastructure Grants Program.
Under the 2016-17 Participation (Veterans and Senior's) Grants, South Canberra Veterans Men's Shed received $9,330.36.
Under the 2017-18 Participation (Veterans and Senior's) Grants, Belconnen Community Men's Shed received $1,500 in funding.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .