Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 3 Hansard (22 March) . .
including the issuing of infringement notices. This bill is an important step in the government's commitment to ensuring that Canberra has a modern, sustainable and safe public transport network. The light rail system will play a key role in making Canberra a sustainable, vibrant and accessible city. I commend the bill to the Assembly.
Debate (on motion by Ms Lawder) adjourned to the next sitting.
Estimates 2018-2019—Select Committee
Debate resumed from 15 February 2018, on motion by Mr Wall:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 2018-2019 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2018-2019, the Appropriation (Office of the Legislative Assembly) Bill 2018-2019 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 2018-2019 Budget and prepare a report to the Assembly;
(2) the Committee be composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) one Member to be nominated by The Greens; and
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 12.15 pm today;
(3) an Opposition Member shall be elected chair of the Committee by the Committee;
(4) funds be provided by the Assembly to permit the engagement of external expertise to work with the Committee to facilitate the analysis of the Budget and the preparation of the report of the Committee;
(5) the Committee is to report by Tuesday, 31 July 2018;
(6) if the Assembly is not sitting when the Committee has completed its inquiry, the Committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation; and
(7) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
MS CHEYNE (Ginninderra) (11.46): The government welcomes the establishment of the Select Committee on Estimates. Admin and procedure, as was anticipated in the last sittings, has been looking at ways that the appropriation bills could be examined through this process—perhaps not just by a select committee, noting that, in particular, there are numerous standing committees in existence which are well versed in the matters that the appropriation bills cover.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .