Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 2 Hansard (22 February) . .
Answers to questions
Planning—urban renewal (Question No 827)
Ms Lawder asked the Minister for Planning and Land Management, upon notice, on 1 December 2017 (redirected to the Chief Minister):
(1) What activation events were undertaken by the Minister's directorate as part of the urban renewal of the city program in 2016-17.
(2) How much did each activity cost.
(3) How many people participated in each activity.
(4) Were any of these activities run by In The City Canberra.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) A total of seven activations were undertaken or supported by City Activation during 2016-17. The details of these are in Table one below.
(2) See Table 1 below.
(3) See Table 1 below.
(4) Annually In The City Canberra undertakes a range of activities. These events include:
a. Christmas in the City
b. The Curry Festival
c. Skate in the City
In the City Canberra also partner or sponsor a range of activity in the city - they were also a sponsor for #backyardexperiment. More information on the nature of events and activities run by In The City Canberra can be found in their annual report online.
Table 1: 2016-17 City Activations Date Activation Location Cost Number of Visitors Length of Activation 12 August 2016 The Forage Odgers Lane $8,335.19 Not ticketed. It is estimated that approximately 3,000 people attended the event. One day 23-30 October 2016 The Backyard Experiment Garema Place $30,431.02 Street Furniture Australia reported that foot traffic during the activation increased by 190% and that the number of people who stayed increased by 247%. Eight days