Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2016 Week 7 Hansard (4 August) . .
(4) How many patients CAMHS is able to treat at any one time.
(5) Are there wait-lists or waiting periods before adolescents are treated by CAMHS; if so, what have these wait-lists or waiting periods been over the past two years.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The model of care for inpatients within the Paediatric Service at the Centenary Hospital for Women and Children is to provide in-patient services for children and young people up to the age of 17. Children and adolescents are admitted to the paediatric department under a paediatrician or another specialist such as ear nose and throat, surgical or mental health.
The Women, Youth and Children Division has five paediatric wards: adolescent ward;
• medical ward;
• high dependency ward;
• surgical ward; and
• day stay unit.
In general patients over the age of 17 will be admitted to an adult ward within Canberra Hospital.
(2) There is no time limit on the length of an inpatient stay. It is clinical practice that when a young person is admitted, they remain in hospital for the amount of time that is clinically required to address the clinical concern.
Treatment can be provided for up to 12 inpatients at a time on the adolescent ward.
(3) The process for referring and receiving for cross-jurisdictional care, is the CAMHS team will make contact with the relevant in-patient services in NSW to seek a bed. There will be a presentation of the clinical case and the in-patient service will advise as to whether they will accept a referral.
The Interstate Patient Travel Assistance provides assistance to permanent residents of the ACT towards travel and accommodation expenses incurred when they are referred interstate for medical treatment not available in the ACT.
(4) CAMHS are able to clinically manage the following number of people at any one time:
• CAMHS Community teams - 360
• CAMHS Cottage and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Program - 18 students per school semester
• CAMHS Eating Disorder Program - 50
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .