Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2016 Week 6 Hansard (9 June) . .
Westside container village—businesses
(Question No 729)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Planning and Land Management, upon notice, on 7 April 2016 (redirected to the Minister for Urban Renewal):
(1) How many independent businesses are operating in the Westside Acton Park container village.
(2) What was the number of businesses operating in the village at its inception.
(3) What factors have prompted the need for "reactivation" as recently reported in The Canberra Times.
(4) What measures does the Government intend to take to address the concerns alluded to in The Canberra Times.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) 11 businesses are currently operating at Westside Acton Park.
(2) 8 businesses were operating at the time of inception.
(3) With the engagement of the Property Management Team, Damsel and Sprout, there has been an increase in vendors and in the variety of offerings now available at Westside Acton Park. This, combined with an increase of events planned for the next 12 months, has meant that a further activation of the site was appropriate to promote public awareness of the amenities the site has to offer. This has resulted in increased community attendance at Westside Acton Park.
(4) The Sunday markets, reported in the Canberra Times on 3 April 2016, is one of many events planned for 2016 to promote West Basin as a vibrant urban space for the community to enjoy. The engagement of Damsel and Sprout as the venue manager has provided for the establishment of a program of events that will draw visitors to West Basin, showcasing local businesses and artists. There is a steady increase in attendance at Westside. This has been evidenced during the CBR hottest 100 Beach Party, the National Capital Jam, Art Not Apart Festival and colour run participants and families enjoying the benefits of the attraction. In addition to this there is increased confidence in the venue with a greater number of vendors and stalls wanting to participate.
Planning—community group site allocations
(Question No 731)
Mrs Jones asked the Minister for Planning and Land Management, upon notice, on 7 April 2016 (redirected to the Minister for Urban Renewal):
(1) How many sites in the ACT have been identified for use for community groups.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .