Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2016 Week 3 Hansard (10 March) . .
(3) an Opposition Member shall be elected chair of the committee by the committee;
(4) funds be provided by the Assembly to permit the engagement of external expertise to work with the committee to facilitate the analysis of the Budget and the preparation of the report of the committee;
(5) the committee is to report by Tuesday, 2 August 2016;
(6) if the Assembly is not sitting when the committee has completed its inquiry, the committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation; and
(7) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
It is the annual standard.
MR BARR (Molonglo—Chief Minister, Treasurer, Minister for Economic Development, Minister for Tourism and Events and Minister for Urban Renewal) (11.13): Having now seen what the shadow treasurer proposes and seen that he is not trying to sneak one through the Assembly by not circulating the motion that he is seeking our support for—
Mr Smyth: Sorry, point of order. I do not circulate motions in the chamber. The motion has been handed in.
MADAM DEPUTY SPEAKER: Thank you. Chief Minister.
MR BARR: Now that I have seen what the shadow treasurer is proposing, and noting that this year we do not have to go through the farce of the opposition trying to stack the committee, I welcome the change. We will have an evenly balanced committee with two members from the government and two from the opposition.
We endorse that an opposition member shall chair the committee. The procedural elements of Mr Smyth's motion are acceptable to the government, so we will be supporting this motion.
Question resolved in the affirmative.
Red Tape Reduction Legislation Amendment Bill 2016
Mr Barr, pursuant to notice, presented the bill, its explanatory statement and a Human Rights Act compatibility statement.
Title read by Clerk.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .