Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2016 Week 1 Hansard (11 February) . .
ACTION bus service—Page
(Question No 601)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 19 November 2015:
(1) Why did the Government remove bus services and bus shelters along Burkitt Street, Page.
(2) What consultation did the Government conduct with local residents, particularly those in the retirement villages, along Burkitt Street before removing the bus services and shelters.
(3) What was the outcome of those consultations and if no consultations were conducted, why not.
(4) What representations has the Government received, and from whom, following the removal of the bus services and shelters.
(5) What response has the Government given to those representations.
(6) Does the Government intend to assess the feasibility of re-establishing bus services and bus shelters on Burkitt Street; if so, when; if not, why not.
Mr Rattenbury: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) As part of a comprehensive review of bus services in Canberra in 2014, community bus routes 73 and 74 travelling along Burkitt Street Page were replaced with flexible community transport from 1 September 2014.
The Flexible Community Transport is designed to pick up from a residential address and as such the existing shelters became redundant from 1 September 2014.
(2) As part of the consultation process each retirement village along Burkitt Street Page was provided with a copy of the proposed improvements for 2014 and the alternative community transport options. Residents were not consulted on the removal of the redundant bus shelters.
(3) After consideration, Community bus routes 73 and 74 travelling along Burkitt Street Page were replaced with flexible community transport.
(4) The government subsequently received and responded to 3 Ministerials and 2 Chief Minister Ministerials is relation to community bus services in Page. In addition Public Transport Customer Service has responded to 4 enquiries.
(5) The government has provided information on alternative transport options including access to community transport.
(6) At this stage there are no plans to re-establish bus services along Burkitt Street, Page. The combination of Community Transport and minibus transport provided by individual retirement villages is catering for passengers who are unable to walk to nearby bus stops.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .