Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2015 Week 13 Hansard (19 November) . .
Nevertheless, and with the development of West Belconnen still very much in its early stages, it is yet to be seen whether a commercial provider may see an opportunity to provide another aquatic facility in the region in the future. Noting the previous private aquatic facility located at Kippax closed and there are already four aquatic facilities located in Belconnen, a commercial decision would be guided by the market's assessment of how viable another facility would be.
(4) Not applicable.
(Question No 602)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Sport and Recreation, upon notice, on 19 November 2015:
(1) What representations has the Government received, and from whom, about facilities in Canberra for ice-based sport, artistic and recreation activities.
(2) What consideration has the Government given to those representations.
(3) Has the Government begun any process to assess the feasibility of construction of new facilities for ice-based sport, artistic or recreation activities in Canberra.
(4) If so, what is the status of that process, including but not limited to, (a) what assessment has been made of the estimated cost of a construction project and (b) what locations are under consideration.
(5) If not, does the Government plan to begin such a process; if so, when.
Mr Rattenbury: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The ACT Government has received various representations over a number of years regarding the provision of facilities for ice sports, including from:
• Ice Hockey ACT;
• CBR Brave Ice Hockey;
• ACT Ice Skating;
• a number of private citizens, noting that many of these representations focused on the condition of the privately owned/operated Phillip Swimming and Ice Skating Centre (PSISC).
(2) The ACT Government has considered the provision of ice sports facilities recently:
• as part of the 2012 Feasibility Study for the future aquatic facility to be provided in Molonglo (Stromlo Leisure Centre). This study found that an ice sports facility in Molonglo would not be viable as such facilities need to be located near major retail centres to make them commercially viable. Ice facilities are not being considered for inclusion as part the proposed Stromlo Leisure Centre.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .