Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2014 Week 12 Hansard (30 October) . .
Answers to questions
Canberra Hospital—adult mental health unit
(Question No 333)
Mrs Jones asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 25 September 2014:
(1) How many Provisional Improvement Notices have been issued since the Adult Mental Health Unit was opened.
(2) What were each of the Provisional Improvement Notices issued for.
(3) What was the timeline and outcome for each Provisional Improvement Notice.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) There have been two Provisional Improvement Notices (PIN) issued since the Adult Mental Health Unit was opened in April 2012.
(2) The two PINs were issued:
• On 28 March 2014 and the PIN contained three specific points:
i. the doors should be kept closed and not used until they are replaced with a suitable door that will meet the operational needs of a secure mental health facility.
ii. that within seven days of this notice being issued that these doors are reviewed by appropriately qualified people and a suitable replacement found and reported to the staff.
iii. that within 28 days of this notice being issued that the aforementioned doors are installed and operational.
• On 25 July 2014 and the PIN contained three specific points:
i. within eight days either the number of consumers in the unit must be reduced to a level satisfactory to the Health Safety Representative (HSR), or temporary measures to increase the number of skilled nursing staff to a level satisfactory to the HSR,
ii. within six weeks the number of permanent nursing staff within the AMHU must be increased to a level satisfactory to the HSR, and
iii. within six weeks the Post Occupancy Evaluation (POE) must be finalised.
(3) The timeline and outcome for the two PINs is the following:
• For the 28 March 2014 PIN all actions were completely by 15 April 2014, and this PIN was closed.
• For the 25 July 2014 PIN, the date for completion of the actions was extended until 31 October 2014. The actions in response to all points have been completed.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .