Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2014 Week 7 Hansard (7 August) . .
(5) The Government will soon consider a package of measures to enhance the current asbestos management regime, including a range of recommendations from the Asbestos Regulators Forum. The recommendations include improvements to measures relating to information and disclosure of affected homes to tenants and tradespeople. Under the current regime:
• a homeowner is required to provide any asbestos assessment report for a property to tenants and tradespeople
• an application for a building approval must include an asbestos removal control plan
• homeowners have duties under section 23 of the Dangerous Substances Act 2004 to take all reasonable steps to minimise the risks from dangerous substances, including asbestos
• tenants and tradespeople may seek access to a building file, with permission from the owner or their representative (and relevant information is included in an application for a building approval)
• all workers must be provided with appropriate training, this includes all workers who may come into contact with asbestos - in particular all workers in the construction industry
• a comprehensive licensing regime is in place for workers who remove, assess and make recommendations in relation to asbestos
• recent letters were sent to residents (including tenants) of affected homes
• more information is available at www.asbestos.act.gov.au .
(Question No 299)
Mrs Jones asked the Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development, upon notice, on 4 June 2014:
(1) What plans are in place to increase the number of car parking spaces at the Weston Group Centre.
(2) How many additional car parking spaces will be provided and when.
(3) Where will the additional car parking spaces be located precisely.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
The Weston Group Centre Master Plan is responding to demand for additional parking in the centre over time.
The 2014/15 budget includes $500,000 for the construction of approximately 80 car parking spaces at the Weston Group Centre. A feasibility study is being undertaken to finalise designs for the additional spaces. Construction work will commence by June 2015.
The additional car parks are planned to be located on the east side of Liardet Street and the southern section of Dillon Close.
Next page . .
Previous page. . . .
Speeches . . . .
Contents . . . .
Sittings . . . .