Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2013 Week 10 Hansard (15 August) . . Page.. 3207..
Answers to questions
Gungahlin—town centre (Question No 137)
Mrs Jones asked the Minister for Economic Development, upon notice, on 8 August 2013:
(1) What, if any, plans are in place to ensure the economic viability of the Gungahlin town centre.
(2) What, if any, plans are in place to develop work opportunity within the Gungahlin town centre.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The Gungahlin Town Centre is located in the centre of Canberra's fastest growing district. In addition to the current 47,300 residents, the Government's current Land Release Program will see an increase in the population through the release of the suburbs of Moncrieff and Throsby this financial year, and Kenny and Jacka in later years. The town centre is also set to benefit significantly from the proposed Capital Metro light rail network. This increase in population and transport links will serve to strengthen the viability of the retail, community and office precincts within the town centre into the future.
(2) Work opportunities in the town centre will be greatly enhanced by the completion of the ACT Government's Office Building, housing over 500 employees, that is due for occupation in the first quarter 2015. In addition, expressions of interest have been sought for a cinema complex and licensed club and hotel, which when constructed will provide considerable employment benefits for the town centre.
Children and young people—neighbourhood playgrounds (Question No 140)
Mrs Jones asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 8 August 2013 (redirected to the Acting Minister for Territory and Municipal Services):
(1) What are the plans for fencing of the children's playground at the southern end of Gungahlin Place.
(2) When will the playground be fenced.
(3) What are the plans to install additional play equipment at the playground.
(4) When will additional equipment be installed.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) There are no plans for fencing the children's playground at the southern end of Gungahlin Place.