Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2013 Week 6 Hansard (9 May) . . Page.. 1885..
Event Operational Cost New Year's Eve (2011) $225,000 Australia Day (2012) $159,000 Canberra Day (2012) $51,000 Canberra Nara Candle Festival (2011) $63,000 Lighting of the Christmas Tree (2011) $51,000 Enlighten (2012) $1,248,000 Celebrate in the Park (2012) $376,000 Symphony in the Park (2012) $73,000 Balloon Spectacular (2012) $193,000
(2) The direct revenue impact to the Territory for Enlighten 2012 was $0.3m. Ernst & Young was commissioned by Australian Capital Tourism to estimate the economic impact on the ACT as a result of staging ENLIGHTEN 2012 as well as reporting on market research performed on patrons that attended the event. A copy of this report is attached for information. Direct revenue impact to the Territory is not measured for the remainder of events listed above, given their community nature and focus.
(A copy of the attachment is available at the Chamber Support Office).
Stromlo Forest Park (Question No 84)
Mr Seselja asked the Minister for Tourism and Events, upon notice, on 19 March 2013:
(1) What additional commercial options is the Government considering for Stromlo Forest Park.
(2) What new initiatives are being implemented.
(3) How much will these initiatives cost.
(4) What is the anticipated value of these initiatives.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Future commercial options are being considered through master planning currently being undertaken but could include low-cost accommodation, adventures rides, retail and other tourism activities.
(2) Funding of $2.8m has been allocated in the Capital Works Program to undertake design work at Stromlo Forest Park. The purpose of the work is to design service infrastructure into Stromlo to support future developments and to allow integration of services with the surrounding Molonglo developments. This work also includes design work to establish district playing fields within the park.
(3) The current funding is $2.8m (refer to above). The estimate of the cost of constructing the supporting infrastructure is currently being prepared as part of the design works. There is potential for future commercial initiatives to be wholly funded by the commercial sector or to include a contribution by the Government.