Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2013 Week 3 Hansard (28 February) . . Page.. 917..
MR RATTENBURY (Molonglo) (10.21): Madam Speaker, I will also be supporting Mr Corbell's proposed amendment. I think the confusion in the last sitting week, which I have spoken about previously—particularly the advice from the Office of the Legislative Assembly and then the subsequent ruling by yourself as the Speaker—did create an environment of some uncertainty. I think that being clear on the standing orders is beneficial for all members of the Assembly, and on that basis I will be supporting Mr Corbell's amendment.
Question resolved in the affirmative.
Estimates 2013-2014—Select Committee
MR SMYTH (Brindabella) (10.22): I move:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 2013-14 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2013-14 and any revenue estimates proposed by the government in the 2013-14 Budget and prepare a report to the parliament;
(2) the committee be composed of:
(a) two members to be nominated by the government; and
(b) three members to be nominated by the opposition;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 4 pm today;
(3) an opposition member shall be elected chair of the committee by the committee;
(4) funds be provided by the parliament to permit the engagement of external expertise to work with the committee to facilitate the analysis of the budget and the preparation of the report of the committee;
(5) the committee is to report by Tuesday, 6 August 2013;
(6) if the Assembly is not sitting when the committee has completed its inquiry, the committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation; and
(7) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
This is the standard motion that somebody moves at this time of the year every year to establish the estimates committee to look at the budget. The proposal is that there be