Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 7 Hansard (7 June) . . Page.. 2991..
2001-2002 Not available 2002-2003 23 2003-2004 40 2004-2005 19 2005-2006 21 2006-2007 34 2007-2008 105 2008-2009 54 2009-2010 18 2010-2011 69
Environment—firewood (Question No 2308)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development, upon notice, on 3 May 2012:
(1) Can the Minister provide the most up-to-date list of businesses which have undertaken to comply with the ACT Firewood Code of Practice, including the dates that each business was entered on the register.
(2) Does the Government have statistics, or an estimate, of the total number of firewood merchants selling firewood to the ACT.
(3) What is the total amount in tonnes of firewood sold to the ACT and (a) what percentage of this is supplied by retailers compliant with the Firewood Code of Practice and (b) what is the percentage of this that is (i) hardwood, (ii) softwood, (iii) seasoned, (iv) unseasoned and (v) boxwood.
(4) Can the Minister provide data, in the form of percentages or estimated percentages, on where firewood sold to the ACT is sourced, including the (a) locality from which the wood is obtained, (b) tenure of the land from which it is obtained, that is, private, crown land, state forest etc and (c) further information on the source, that is, dead timber from land clearing, plantation, and/or residue from forestry.
(5) What action has the ACT Government taken nationally to promote the certification of softwood wood heaters and what progress has been made on this issue.
(6) What auditing does the Government do of businesses that are registered as agreeing to the ACT Firewood Code of Practice, for example, to ensure they sell seasoned wood only and when were any audits last conducted.
(7) Can the Minister provide data on the results of compliance checks carried out under the Code of Practice by year from 1999 to 2012.