Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 7 Hansard (7 June) . . Page.. 2965..
(1) The current DAS budget is $1,186,340.
(2) DAS provides regulatory services, the animal shelter and community education in an integrated service delivery model and does not allocate specific budget amounts to each activity
(3) DAS does not investigate breaches of the Animal Welfare Act 1992. The RSPCA-ACT is responsible for the investigation of animal welfare breaches.
(4) DAS instigated the following legal proceedings in the 2010-11 financial year:
(a) (i) One prosecution was referred to the ACT Director of Public Prosecutions;
(ii) 134 infringement notices were issued; and
(iii) 21 formal cautions were issued.
DAS instigated the following legal proceedings in the first half of the 2011 12 financial year:
(b) (i) one prosecution was referred to the ACT Director of Public Prosecutions;
(ii) 100 infringement notices were issued; and
(iii) 32 formal cautions were issued.
(5) The infringements issued in 2010-11 totalled (a) $21,800 and (b) for 2011-12 (July to December) totalled $10,500.
(6) No statistical information on animal cruelty is collated by DAS.
Territory and Municipal Services Directorate—city rangers (Question No 2279)
Ms Le Couteur asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 2 May 2012:
(1) In relation to the Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) Directorate City Rangers, how many ACT public servants (full-time equivalent) are employed as City Rangers.
(2) At what level of ACT public service employment are City Rangers typically employed.
(3) What is the average total annual cost of employing and administering a City Ranger.
(4) How many pieces of legislation are City Rangers responsible for monitoring and what are these pieces of legislation.
(5) How many formal warnings have City Rangers issued in the last financial year and for what infractions were these issued.