Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 7 Hansard (7 June) . . Page.. 2943..
(1) Has the Government investigated purchasing hybrid electric buses for the ACTION fleet; if so, what work has been done and what were the outcomes.
(2) What is the estimated cost of purchasing various models of hybrid electric buses for the ACTION fleet.
(3) What advantages/disadvantages do hybrid electric buses have over existing ACTION buses, for example diesel and CNG, in terms of (a) CO2 emissions; (b) fuel efficiency, (c) operating costs, (d) air pollution (particulate emissions etc) and (e) other identified advantages or disadvantages.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) No. However, the ACT Government is monitoring hybrid bus trials currently in other states.
(2) The estimated cost including GST is $0.800 million per hybrid bus.
(3) Operating in the preferred network of frequent stops and low average speeds (below 10 km/h) the hybrid buses trialled in Australia to date have delivered marginal gains from an emissions and fuel use perspective. The trial buses to date have appeared to be some 10% less reliable than regular shadow buses operating in the trials. As this new technology develops there is an expectation that reliability and costs will come down.
ACTION bus service—security (Question No 2253)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 2 May 2012:
(1) How many assaults, including spitting, have been reported to have occurred on ACTION bus drivers in each of the years 2006-2012.
(2) What security measures are in place on ACTION buses for the protection of bus drivers.
(3) How many ACTION buses are fitted with (a) screens between the driver and passengers, for driver security and (b) silent alarms.
(4) What percentage of the ACTION fleet is fitted with closed circuit television (CCTV).
(5) What is the estimated cost of (a) installing a driver security screen in an ACTION bus, (b) installing CCTV on an ACTION bus and (c) fitting a driver silent alarm in an ACTION bus.
(6) What is the cost, or approximate cost, annually to the ACT Government due to graffiti and vandalism (a) on ACTION buses and (b) at bus stops and interchanges.
(7) Does the ACT Government employ any security personnel at ACT bus interchanges; if so, (a) how many security personnel are employed at each interchange, (b) what are