Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 7 Hansard (7 June) . . Page.. 2928..
Breach of external perimeter by external source 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Death 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Total 81 99 111 75 69 58 41 51 585
Health—palliative care (Question No 2237)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 2 May 2012:
(1) What is the cost per annum to ACT Health to provide palliative care services, including through Calvary Health Care, and what is the break-up of that cost.
(2) How many (a) palliative care, (b) inpatient palliative care and (c) community palliative care patients are there per annum.
(3) What is the average cost a day for an inpatient palliative care bed at (a) Clare Holland House and (b) The Canberra Hospital.
(4) What is the average cost per community patient per day.
Ms Gallagher: I am advised that the answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The Health Directorate provide Calvary Public Hospital with a funding envelope each financial year to provide all public hospital services. The structure of this funding is not broken down to identify the amount granted to provide palliative care services. However, based on current costing data available, it is estimated that the cost per annum to the Health Directorate to provide palliative care services is around $7.5 million. This includes approximately $1.6 million for TCH to provide palliative care services; approximately $5.9 million for Calvary Health Care to provide palliative care services.
(2) In 2010-11, there were:
a) 2,686 palliative care patients;
b) 617 inpatient palliative care patients; and
c) 2,069 community palliative service events.
a) Average cost per day per inpatient palliative care bed is: $961 for Clare Holland House; and
b) $995 for Canberra Hospital, based on ACT Round 14 (2009-10) National Hospital Cost Data Collection (NHCDC) costed data.
(4) Average cost per community palliative care patient service event is $127, from ACT Round 14 NHCDC cost data.