Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 6 Hansard (10 May) . . Page.. 2495..
Education and Training Directorate—alternative programs manager (Question No 2138)
Ms Hunter asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 21 March 2012:
(1) What are the full-time equivalent hours for the Alternative Programs Manager position in the Education and Training Directorate.
(2) How many programs are managed by this position.
(3) Could the Minister provide a brief description of these alternative programs.
(4) Does the Alternative Programs Manager fulfil any other roles for the Education and Training Directorate; if so, what are the roles.
(5) Has any work been undertaken to expand alternative programs in ACT public schools; if so, what work has been undertaken.
(6) What is the status of the "Flexible learning options/centres in the ACT"research being undertaken by the University of Queensland and (a) are there any preliminary findings or results, (b) when will this research be completed and (c) will the research be made public.
Dr Bourke: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The full-time equivalent hours for the Alternative Programs Manager position in the Education and Training Directorate are 0.6 FTE (22 hours 3 minutes - 3 days per week).
(2) The number of programs managed by this position varies between four to six programs each term.
(3) Alternative Program activity is designed for Years 9 - 12 students at risk of disengaging from alternative education settings or main stream education.
Students are supported to achieve nationally accredited Certificate II qualifications or partial qualifications.
Career development and pathway planning support is embedded within programs.
Programs are generally funded or sponsored and provide transport/lunch as required in order to address some of the barriers disengaging young people have in accessing vocational training.
Expressions of interest and a brief description as to why a student should be supported to attend a program are required by the Alternative Program Manager to secure a place.