Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 6 Hansard (10 May) . . Page.. 2493..
Scheduled Mandatory Maintenance Contract Management Insurance excess (the Education and Training Directorate is responsible for the first $25K of a claim) $100,000 Condition Assessment Reports (including trees, asbestos, buildings and heritage) $500,000 Fire monitoring $160,000 HVAC contract management (including annual plant and equipment assessment, compliance audit and consultant) $750,000 Fire Protection contract management $400,000 Emergency lighting contract management $100,000 Lifts/Auto doors contract management $100,000 The Territory and Municipal Services Directorate HELP Desk (actions calls from schools with problems with fire systems, emergency lighting and HVAC systems $30,000 Sub-total $2,140,000
Education—English as a second language programs (Question No 2115)
Mr Doszpot asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 21 March 2012:
(1) How many students are in receipt of English as a Second Language (ESL)/English as an Additional Language (EALD) support and what is the cost per student as at the start of the 2012 school year.
(2) How many students are classified under each of the levels on the 0-5 rating of the ACT's official measure, within the ESL (EALD) program operating in Introductory English Centres.
(3) What assistance is available to students who, after exhausting the available hours of assistance, are still below the proficiency level of 1.75.
(4) How many were in the category referred to in part (3) for the (a) 2010 and (b) 2011 school years.
(5) How many teachers are currently employed as ESL teachers in ACT public schools by (a) number, (b) location and (c) hours engaged.
(6) How many full-time equivalent directorate staff are engaged in support for the ESL (EALD) programs in ACT public schools and where are they located.
Dr Bourke: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) 2 510 students in Mainstream
258 students in the Introductory English Centres (IECs)
Due to the complexities associated in full and partial funding for EALD students in mainstream schools and different teacher to student ratios in IEC programs, I am unable to present these figures on a cost per student basis.