Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 3 Hansard (22 March) . . Page.. 1253..
Environment—community gardens (Question No 2097)
Ms Le Couteur asked the Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development, upon notice, on 23 February 2012:
(1) What progress has the Government made in finalising the site selection criteria for community gardens and have they been finalised.
(2) How were these criteria made available for public consultation.
(3) What feedback was received from the community.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) A discussion paper on the future location of community gardens in the ACT is being finalised for public consultation by the Environment and Sustainable Development Directorate (ESDD) in close collaboration with the Territory and Municipal Services Directorate. The paper will discuss in detail the draft site selection criteria that I tabled on 28 June 2011 as part of my Response to resolution of 9 March 2011 relating to community gardens.
(2) The discussion paper is currently being finalised by ESDD for public consultation. During its preparation, informal consultation was undertaken with representatives of interested parties, including the Canberra Organic Growers Society and the University of Canberra.
(3) The discussion paper draws on both considerable research from comparative jurisdictions into possible governance responses to managing community gardens as an emergent issue and stakeholder consultation. At this stage, key comments from a number of organisations, including the Canberra Organic Growers Society, have been supportive.