Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2012 Week 2 Hansard (23 February) . . Page.. 836..
Taxation—cigarettes and tobacco (Question No 2017)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 15 February 2012:
(1) Has the ACT Government ever used tobacco taxes to fund preventative health campaigns or grant programs; if so, when did this occur and how much was appropriated per annum.
(2) Has the ACT Government received any of the funds the Commonwealth Government collects in relation to tobacco since the transfer of tobacco taxes from State and Territory governments to the Commonwealth Government; if so, how much is that per annum.
(3) Has the ACT Government maintained any funding ratio between tobacco taxes paid by the ACT population and ACT Government preventative health funding since the transfer of tobacco taxes to the Commonwealth Government.
(4) What is the total revenue from tobacco sales in the ACT per annum.
(5) What is the total tax paid by the ACT population annually to the Commonwealth Government with relation to tobacco.
(6) Does the ACT Government collect any taxes or fees in relation to the sale of tobacco; if so, (a) what are they, (b) what is their total per annum and (c) how is that revenue used.
Ms Gallagher: I am advised that the answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Tobacco taxes are collected by the Commonwealth Government. As such, money collected by tobacco taxes are not part of the budget provided to the Health Directorate from the ACT Government.
(2) The Commonwealth Government does not specify the source of funds provided to the Territory.
(3) No. The Territory does not hold information about tobacco taxes paid by ACT residents.
(4) The ACT Government does not hold this information.
(5) The ACT Government does not hold this information.
Housing and Community Services Directorate—property inspections (Question No 2019)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for Community Services, upon notice, on 15 February 2012: