Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 14 Hansard (8 December) . . Page.. 6075..
101 stray dogs;
* 12 dogs euthanized for welfare reasons (usually parvo virus); and
* 97 dogs unsuitable for sale.
Canberra nature park—mountain bikes (Question No 1913)
Mr Rattenbury asked the Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development, upon notice, on 27 October 2011 (redirected to the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services):
(1) What restrictions exist for the use of Canberra Nature Park for recreational users such as mountain bikers.
(2) Which reserves inside the Canberra Nature Park are frequently used by mountain bike riders.
(3) Is there any evidence that ecological damage is caused by misuse of reserve areas by mountain bike riders.
(4) What measures are put in place to manage the risks of the damage referred to in part (3) occurring.
(5) Has the Government undertaken engagement with the mountain bike community outside of the project underway at Bruce Ridge.
(6) What are the outcomes, to date, of the project at Bruce Ridge, including ecological outcomes and community engagement outcomes.
(7) What actions does the Government take to ensure compliance with restrictions on the use of nature parks for mountain biking.
(8) Do rangers monitor reserves on both week days and weekends and what powers are available to the rangers if they observe someone breaching restrictions.
(9) How many times have rangers officially reprimanded park users who breach restrictions in the past 12 months and what actions have been taken.
(10) How many rangers are available on a typical weekend to monitor and enforce the appropriate use of the Canberra Nature Park by recreational users.
(11) What other policy options has the Government considered to manage the use of the Canberra Nature Park with regard to mountain bike riders.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Mountain bike riders are generally restricted to riding on formed trails. These multi-use trails are accessible to service vehicles, horse riding (in identified reserves), mountain bikes and walkers.
(2) The Canberra Nature Park reserves most frequently used by mountain bikers are Mt Ainslie, Mt Majura, Bruce and O'Connor Ridge, Black Mountain and Isaacs Ridge.