Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 14 Hansard (8 December) . . Page.. 6052..
The Government will provide advice to any businesses and community organisation that has loose asbestos insulation through its normal advisory and regulatory functions.
(5) Following the recent review of the ACT Asbestos Management Strategy, the Government has establish a cross-Directorate Asbestos Regulators Forum (the forum). The forum is charged with considering the wider management of asbestos in the ACT. I will ask the forum to consider the viability of developing a register for this purpose.
Environment—Sullivans Creek (Question No 1887)
Ms Le Couteur asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 20 October 2011:
(1) In relation to the Territory and Municipal Services depot located between North Oval and Sullivan's Creek in Turner, what regulations govern the storage of waste and/or organic materials in close proximity to water ways in the ACT.
(2) What measures are in place to prevent the contamination of Sullivan's Creek by the North Oval depot.
(3) What protocols are in place to test the water quality of Sullivan's Creek and the Barry Drive gross pollutant trap and how often does such testing occur.
(4) What trends, if any, have been documented in the water quality at these locations in recent years.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The Environment Protection Act 1997 controls the use of the area. This area is used to handle silt and debris that has been removed from Sullivans Creek itself (via the gross pollution trap nearby) or its catchment. Waste is placed to dry before then being removed to appropriate disposal.
(2) Sedimentation measures are in place to prevent runoff from the drying area re-entering Sullivans creek.
(3) Water sampling can be performed by Environment Protection Officers, contracted agents from Australian Laboratory Services (Fyshwick) or the University of Canberra, all who have training in taking water samples in accordance with the methods prescribed by the American Public Health Association (APHA) Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. If the sampling involves grab samples the analyses are performed at a National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accredited laboratory.
Testing of Sullivans Creek occurs regularly in the online Flemington Road Pond (8 times per year) and other ad hoc samples are taken in response to specific incidents in Sullivans Creek for example four samples per day were taken along Sullivans Creek for a week following the fire at Mitchell. No routine testing is undertaken in Sullivan's Creek down- stream of the Barry Drive gross pollutant trap.