Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 5 Hansard (5 May) . . Page.. 2007..
Schools—behaviour management programs (Question No 1619)
Mr Doszpot asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 7 April 2011:
(1) Can the Minister provide a list of all behaviour management programs and pilot initiatives currently offered in the ACT school system including the cost for each program.
(2) Can the Minister provide a list of all schools participating in the programs referred to in part (1) with corresponding student and staff numbers, and funding allocations.
(3) Can the Minister provide overall costs for behaviour management programs for the last three financial years.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
1) The Department of Education and Training has two behaviour management programs and one pilot initiative. Staff in the behaviour management programs work with school executive and classroom teachers to address complex behaviour and whole school wellbeing issues, rather than with individual students. The programs are as follows:
a) Behaviour Support Partnerships program.
b) Network Support Partners program.
c) Suspension Support Team (pilot initiative).
2) a) Behaviour Support Partnerships program
Eight behaviour support teacher positions work in support of the following schools:
Richardson, Taylor and Wanniassa Hills primary schools;
Caroline Chisholm, Gold Creek, Kingsford Smith and Wanniassa P-10 schools;
Alfred Deakin and Calwell high schools and the University of Canberra High School Kaleen.
The salaries funding allocated to this program is $734 152.
b) Network Support Partners program
The program comprises four senior counsellors (psychologists), four behaviour support teachers and two social workers. The program operates across the four school networks to address complex behaviour and whole school wellbeing issues that prevent students from engaging in learning. All ACT Public schools have access to this program.
The salaries funding allocated to this program is $887 248.
c) Suspension Support Team
The Suspension Support Team consists of a behaviour support teacher (1.0 FTE), a social worker (0.8 FTE) and senior counsellor (psychologist 0.5FTE). The team provides support to the following school executive teams and referred families in the Melba-Copland and Kingsford Smith clusters; Charnwood-Dunlop, Evatt, Florey, Fraser, Latham, Macgregor, Miles Franklin, Mount Rogers primary schools and Kingsford Smith School and Melba Copland Secondary School.