Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 1 Hansard (17 February) . . Page.. 343..
Answers to questions
Domestic Animal Services—dogs (Question No 1222)
Mr Coe asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 18 November 2010:
(1) In relation to each year since 2007, by month and date, (a) how many days has the dog shelter had restricted access due to risks related to parvovirus, (b) how many dogs have been temperament tested before (i) being re-homed or (ii) euthanised, (c) what has been the re-homing rate for dogs impounded at the dog shelter, (d) how many dogs have been impounded at the dog shelter, (e) how many dogs were (i) vaccinated and (ii) euthanised, (f) what were the dogs vaccinated against and (g) who administered the (i) vaccination and (ii) euthanisation and (h) at what cost was the (i) vaccination and (ii) euthanisation.
(2) Does the Domestic Animal Services (DAS) have a policy for the grooming, washing, walking, feeding and other treatment of animals available for public viewing at the dog shelter.
(3) When did DAS announced the dog shelter would close on Wednesdays and what was the rationale for this decision.
(4) Is a record kept of treatment, feeding, washing and walking for each animal impounded; if so, at what intervals does the record keeping occur and how long are records kept.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
1. (a) A check of records at Domestic Animal Services (DAS) reveals that records relating to detections of parvo virus have been kept since 28 October 2009.
Total days of restricted access due to parvo virus since 28 October 2009 - 121 days. During the same period, 387 days have elapsed, so the restricted access occupied 31% of the available days that the shelter was operating.
1. (b) (i) Temperament testing of dogs is done both formally and informally at DAS, prior to animals being rescued or sold. Statistics for animals rescued and sold from July 2007 are as follows:
2007 2008 2009 2010 264 529 516 354
Statistics are not available prior to July 2007.
1. (b) (ii) Records of dogs that have been temperament tested and then euthanased have only been kept since January 2010. An inspection of these records reveals a total of 64 dogs.
1. (c) The re-homing rates for saleable dogs impounded at the facility are recorded in financial years. These rates are as follows: