Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 13 Hansard (18 November) . . Page.. 5767..
(8) The Department ensures all staff recruited are appropriately qualified.
Nation-wide shortages are being experienced for teachers with expertise in Mathematics, Science, English, Teacher/Librarian, Technology, and some languages.
(9) Principals are currently assessing their staffing needs for the next school year. The Department has an active recruitment program which includes working with universities to address the areas of need.
(10) Teachers are employed by the Department of Education and Training as a system rather than by individual schools. Teaching staff move out of individual schools for a variety of reasons including promotion, transfer and retirement. Total teacher staffing numbers (headcount) increased by 150 between 2006-07 and 2009-10.
(11) Not applicable. See Part (10).
Multicultural affairs—bilingual schools and multicultural programs (Question No 1182)
Mr Doszpot asked the Minister for Multicultural Affairs, upon notice, on 21 September 2010:
(1) Can the Minister provide a list of all bilingual school programs and funding received from the ACT Government for this and the last four financial years.
(2) What is the total amount of ACT Government financial support provided to the ACT Ethnic Schools' Association for this financial year and can the Minister provide funding details for the last four financial years.
(3) If the Association referred to in part (2) receives funding support from more than one ACT Government agency, can the Minister specify and provide funding breakdown.
(4) Can the Minister list all multicultural affairs language and community programs and the number of applications for the programs for the last four financial years, including numbers for successful applications.
Ms Burch: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The following is a list of all bilingual schools (as opposed to community language schools) and programs in the ACT:
Telopea - French - only bilingual school
Yarralumla - Italian - has a bilingual program
Mawson Primary - Chinese - has a bilingual program
Beyond the normal annual allocation under school-based management, the ACT Government does not provide any funding to these schools. .
(2) The total amount of ACT Government financial support provided to the ACT Ethnic Schools Association Inc in 2010-11 is $20,000. An additional amount is the subject of contract negotiations between the Department of Education and Training and the ACT Ethnic Schools Association Inc.